All this talk of trading Pudge has got me concerned. Not because I’m dead set on Pudge being back next year… I’m a Pudge fan, but really more a fan of the abstract Pudge, the Pudge who has a gun from behind the plate and is historically one of the best catchers in the game, not the Pudge who makes a ruckus in the clubhouse and may or may not be on steroids. I wouldn’t be wholeheartedly against moving him if we could get value back.
But unless we pick up a starting catcher along the lines of a Molina, moving Pudge would probably mean one very sad thing for the Tigers: Brandon Inge back behind the plate.
In case you haven’t spoken to me recently and are unaware of my stance on this issue, let me refresh you.
1. Brandon Inge is going to be a great player as soon as we stop dicking him around and let him get his feet.
2. Brandon Inge can hit major league pitching. He needs to stop with the streakiness, but we know he’s capable.
3. Brandon Inge is a great athlete more than capable of playing multiple positions. He is best suited to an acrobatic infield position, though.
4. Brandon Inge is goofy and lovable and is my favorite Tiger. Much as I love him, I fully understand that the catching position requires a certain amount of intellectual power, to be able to handle a pitching staff, and Brandon Inge may not be the best-suited individual for this position.
5. Brandon Inge cannot hit while also concentrating on handling an entire pitching staff.
6. Brandon Inge should be a Tiger lifer because Paws knows we haven’t had one of those in a while.
The point of all this is that we should all join the campaign.
Stand up, concerned citizens! Stand in solidarity for the continued presence of Brandon Inge at third base! We all know, deep down in our hearts, that it’s best. Feel free to take and spread the banner, this is an important matter and we must stand together for it.
Keep Brandon Inge, and Keep Him At Third Base!